How to recover lost Savings Bonds

Monday, July 12th, 2004
Categorized as: Lost or stolen US Savings Bonds

If you own Savings Bonds that have been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can have them replaced or redeemed without a fee. The process is the same no matter what series the bond is in.

First click here to get a copy of Public Debt Form 1048. Start by reading the instructions on the last page of the form, which include the address where you should mail the form after completing it.

You can provide approximate issue dates and you can enter “unknown” for denominations, serial numbers, and anything else you don’t know. At a minimum, you need only provide your name and Social Security Number, but the more information you can provide the more likely it is that records of your Savings Bonds will be found.

If the Savings Bonds were a gift to you, the SSN on the bonds could belong to the person who gave you the gift rather than to you. So if you’re looking for Savings Bonds your grandmother gave you and you have your grandmother’s SSN, it would be useful to include it in a separate letter and submit it with the form, along with any other information you might have about the bonds that don’t fit on the form.

After you have completed the form, you will have to take it to a financial institution that handles Savings Bonds to have your signature certified. In most states, most banks, savings and loans, and credit unions handle Savings Bonds. Unless you are well known at the financial institution, you will need identification. After that, send the form to the address it gives you.

The Treasury will search for the bonds in its records. If it finds them, it will make sure they haven’t already been cashed. On the form, you can ask to have the bonds replaced (they’ll have the original issue date), or you can ask to have them redeemed.

If the bonds you’ve lost were purchased through a payroll savings plan while you were in the military, also take a look at my post about reclaiming Savings Bonds held in military safekeeping.

If you haven’t lost your savings bonds yet, you should make sure you have a complete inventory listing of your bonds, including their serial numbers. If you have a bond’s serial number, you are certain to be able to get it replaced. My book, Savings Bond Advisor, describes several easy ways to create an inventory listing of your Savings Bonds.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 4.46 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:


On May 15th, 2006 camille johnson said:

a morning show (last Friday, I believe) made this seem easy — all online — search, etc.

On May 16th, 2006 Tom Adams said:

Camille – I’m a journalist myself, but I’m often surprised how what I say to reporters comes out in print.

The television show you saw was probably about Treasury Hunt, which can help you “find” lost bonds you don’t know about, but isn’t any help at all for bonds that you know about but can’t find.

On June 12th, 2006 Joseph C. Macie said:

Of all the numbers that appear on a US Savings Bond, which is considered the “BOND NUMBER” FOR purposes of Form PD F 1048 E? Is it the last number, an alphanumeric, appearing on the lower right corner of the bond, and is in larger font than the other numbers? Since the file is in PDF format anyway, it would be helpful to include a picture on the website with each piece of information needed for the Form circled and labeled.

Thank you

On June 12th, 2006 Tom Adams said:

The Serial Number is the large number at the lower-right. It begins with a letter that indicates the bond’s face value and ends with letters that indicate the bond’s series.

The form is published by the US Treasury, not Alert Media, so we can’t change it. But here’s a graphic like the one you’re looking for.

Lost Savings Bonds
On April 26th, 2007 Alex Dudgeon said:

I recently lost a bond that was purchased for me by my aunt. Both her name and mine are listed on the bond. In order to have it replaced does she have to sign the PD 1048 form as well as me, or can I do it myself? She lives out of the country currently and I would like this resolved sooner than later

On June 20th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Alex – The instructions for Form 1048 say that the form must be signed by all persons named on the bonds. Signature certifications outside the U.S. can be difficult to get – there’s more information in my post about cashing Savings Bonds internationally.

Tom Adams

On July 19th, 2007 Sarah Force said:

About how long does it take for the bonds to be redeemed or restored?

On July 19th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Sarah – it averages about three weeks, but can be longer or shorter depending on how many requests arrive in a particular week.

Tom Adams

On July 26th, 2007 suzanne said:

my family said that i had bonds – no one has any information about them, how can i search? they won’t be in my ss#, because i was not issued one at birth. my parents are not sure who bought them for me.

On July 27th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Suzanne – There is no “special case” for someone in your situation. You fill out the form described at the top of this page just like anyone else. If you don’t know the SSN on the bond, just say so on the form.

The Treasury will still do a search, however, typically the bond in cases like yours was cashed in long ago. A parent can sign for a minor child and many of them do so with gift bonds. That’s would also explain why your parents no longer have the bonds.

Tom Adams

On September 27th, 2007 Jim said:

We found a few of my uncle’s bonds when we were cleaning out his house. He passed away a few years ago and his estate was settled at that time. I am not sure if they checked for bonds. I wanted to know if there is a quick way to see if they have been replaced or not when you have the bonds in hand. The beneficiary is my cousin and I am helping her figure this out.

On September 28th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Jim – if the bonds have stopped paying interest (ie, they were issued more than 30 years ago) and if they have a Social Security Number on them, you can use Treasury Hunt to see if they are still valid.

Otherwise, your cousin should follow the have these bonds been cashed procedure.

Tom Adams

On October 9th, 2007 Elsa said:

I took form 1048 to my Wells Fargo Bank officer, to have my signature certified. He called and was told that the “signature certification stamps” were taken out of the bank. He “notarized it”. Will the Bureau of Public Debt accept the paperwork, being “notarized”? I had to accept what the bank was willing to do.

On October 10th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Elsa – The Treasury’s policy is that they want bank certification of your signature, not notary certification. You can send the form in with a letter explaining what happened at the bank and it may work, but don’t be surprised if they send it back.

Tom Adams

On October 18th, 2007 jeffrey trull said:

we bought my son two $25.00 ee savings bonds aroud 1990-1993 but have since moved several times since and have lost all info can these be replaced? Thanks Tom

On October 18th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Jeffrey – Yes, they can be replaced. You just need to provide Social Security Number that’s on the bond, which can be either your son’s, your own, or your wife’s. Give them all three to work from. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on this page.

Tom Adams

On October 22nd, 2007 James E. Prce said:

I have missed placed ~120+ saving bonds that I am going to need to replace due to a divorce settlement. Could you tell me what the fast way to have this done? What is the approximate lead-time to have them in hand?

Thank You in advance

On October 22nd, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi James – the fastest way is to follow the procedure outlined on this page. It’s first come, first served. There’s no fast track process. Once the Treasury has the forms it takes them about three weeks to process your request, but it can be longer or shorter depending on how many other requests they receive that week.

Tom Adams

On October 22nd, 2007 Jean said:

Hi Tom,

All of my parents important paperwork was stolen from their home 9 years ago. This included the Savings Bonds that my mother had received from her employer for various awards over the years. She did not know how to replace them and her employer was of no assistance in this matter. She is now in a nursing home and I would like to get these replaced for her (perhaps some should even be redeemed). I have Power of Attorney for her. Is that enough for ” Authority/Legal Representative”? The total of the bonds is probably a few hundred dollars. Thanks for any direction you can give me.

On October 23rd, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Jean – Yes, a Power of Attorney qualifies you to sign the form for your mother. Take the POA paperwork with you when you go to the bank to have your signature certified on the form. Otherwise, follow the procedure outlined at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On November 17th, 2007 Kevin said:

During a recent divorce it has come to my attention that my ex has cashed savings bonds made out to her and I. She signed the back of the check in her name and then signed my name as an endorser. Should I be notified that these were cashed? Also how do I find out what SS# she used?


On November 17th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Kevin – if your ex-wife was a named co-owner there’s no reason she would have to sign your name – either co-owner can cash a Savings Bond without the knowledge or permission of the other. Their is no notification to the other co-owner. The 1099-INT tax form reporting the interest to the IRS is issued using the SSN of the person cashing the bond.

Tom Adams

On December 27th, 2007 Steve said:

My kids received numerous savings bonds between 10 and 20 years ago. These were purchased by friends, aunts, uncles, etc. (I don’t know the SS # of any of the purchasers). Either due to moving, or my wife’s lack of organizational skill, I can not find any of the bonds. How do I replace them?

On December 28th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi Steve – There is no special process for people who are disorganized. Use the process at the top of this page. Provide all the information you can. It may not be enough to recover the bonds, but you should give it a try.

Don’t forget that it’s possible the reason you don’t have the bonds is that you’ve already redeemed them.

Tom Adams

On January 29th, 2008 Jennifer said:

I received a bond from my great-aunt almost 20 years ago and just found it again a week ago. However, I have now misplaced it. If I don’t find it soon, I was going to fill out the above paperwork, but I had 2 questions. First, I am now married and the bond is in my maiden name. Does that change how I redeem it (if I find it) and/or how I fill out the recovery form? Second, I know my name was listed on the bond, but if memory serves, I believe my father’s name was also on it in a different place. Will he need to sign the paperwork as well (does that mean the bond is also in his name, since he was my guardian at the time). It was not my SSN on the bond, so I should assume it was my great-aunt’s, right? Thanks!

On January 31st, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Jennifer – the bank will want some proof that your name changed, such as a marriage license that has your married and maiden names on it. But there’s nothing unusual about this; they deal with it everyday.

Regarding your father’s name, have him sign the form too, just in case.

Tom Adams

On March 10th, 2008 carole said:

I lost several savings bonds over the years. I have no $10 weekly deducted from my paycheck. Over the years I have cashed a few in. However, in moving I have since stopped receiving them. I have called to give my new address, and I was advised to send in writing, a request of all saving bonds issued to myself. Is this request in some way going to determine which bonds were cashed and which were lost. I have no way of knowing which were cashed or lost, because I didn’t keep a log.

On March 10th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Carole – even if you kept your own records, what matters is what the Treasury’s records say. They’ll tell you which ones you haven’t cashed.

Tom Adams

On March 21st, 2008 Russell said:

I recieved 2-3 savingsbonds a year up until I was 13 or so from my great-grandmother.I have never seen them an she has passed away, I am now 26 and her estate was taken over by my grandmother and she said that she could not find them in her paperwork what do i do

On March 24th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Russell – there’s no special procedure for your situation.

The article at the top of this page tells you exactly what you need to do.

Tom Adams

On March 25th, 2008 Norman Berkowitz said:

In 1992 I had a robbery at my previous home in which US Savings Bonds were stolen. I filled out the required Govt forms (1048) and then somehow, before having them notarized, misplaced everything. Having recently moved I now found them. Can I have the old forms notarized & sent in or must I start all over? Need some help here.

On March 26th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Norman – I suspect the forms from 1992 will still work, but that’s long before I started doing this, so I can’t tell you for sure. You could compare the form you have with the current form and see if there’s any difference.

To be clear on the signature guarantee – a notary public can’t help you. You need to take the forms to a bank or similar financial institution and have your signature certified there.

Tom Adams

On April 14th, 2008 Candace said:

My son has received many savings bonds in the mail since his birth a few months ago, but, they are issued in mine and his name. How do I find out who sent them to him? They were mailed directly from the treasury with nothing but the bonds in the envelopes. Is there a way to track who purchased them?

On April 15th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Candace – the info you’re looking for is here.

On April 16th, 2008 Ken Noto said:

This is a Great Website – Kudos for putting this up on the Internet!

Now my question – When I was born back in 1955 I was given a few Savings Bonds – $10 ones and $20 ones and also given a few for my Baptism. These were kept away for years but disappeared when my parents divorced in 1962. After that date my Mother nor my Dad claimed any knowledge of what happened to them.

I’ve always wondered what happened to those bonds and I do realize that interest must have stopped on them years ago. I tried going to the Treasury website and they only speak of more current bonds, not the old ones. I don’t even think the old ones even had SSNs on the, just names and addresses.

Do you know of any way I can track those Bonds down and what happened to those bonds? For example if they were cashed, and if so, who cashed them? If one of my parents did, I know there’s nothing I could do, but what are the rules for parents cashing their minor children’s bonds? Just wondering….

Thanks – and keep up the great work!!


On April 17th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Ken – to find out if a bond has been cashed, you need the bond’s serial number. Since your last name is relatively rare, you should follow the instructions at the top of this page and see if the Treasury can find records of your bonds by your name.

Tom Adams

On April 17th, 2008 Lori said:

Hi Tom;
My Mom passed away 2 years ago, 3 weeks before her death she had about 10-12 Savings bonds out, I put them in the safe and they disapeared. I have written numurous letters to the dept of treasury, they can not locaate the bonds, they also state that none have been cashed, I know she had lots of Series E or EE Bonds from the early 60’s, unfortunately, we never recorded any of the bonds. I have sent letters with all possible co-owners names and SSN’s with no luck.
Is there any other way to track or does the treasurey department just say nothing found if you do not use the forms indicated?
I only sent letters and all of my legal paperwork.

On April 18th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Lori – it wouldn’t hurt to send the info in again using the correct form. It clarifies your request.

Tom Adams

On April 20th, 2008 Lisi said:

Hello Tom,

In the 80’s I was given multiple savings bonds from my dad as birthday gifts. My godparents, who were my guardians at the time, held them for me in a locked safe. Sadly, Both my godparents passed away quite unexpectedly, and the savings bonds were “supposably” never found. I filled out a 1048 form and I put my name, social and older address along with my dads info; including social. I believe I filled everything out correctly, but I did not have my dad sign the letter. He was the one who purchased the bonds. I signed the 1048 form myself, and got it notarized with a witness.
I do have a few questions for you, if you could help .. ?

1. Would I have to resend this form again with my dad’s signature ? Or is mine sufficent ?

2. Do you think they’ll be able to find my savings bonds even if they may have been deposited or cashed ?

3. If they were cashed or deposited by someone, will I still be able to get my savings bonds returned to me ?

Thank you !

On April 21st, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Lisi – You don’t say how long ago you sent the form in. If it was less than six weeks ago, they’ll contact you. If it was longer than that, did you not hear back from them?

The Treasury will replace bonds that are lost or stolen, but it can be difficult to prove bonds were stolen unless you have the serial numbers on the bonds.

Tom Adams

On April 21st, 2008 Lisi said:

Hello Tom,

The form was sent in about 2 weeks ago. I know its a waiting process, but I’m concerned as to whether or not they would need my dad’s signature as well. (He made the purchase of the bonds).

My other concern is what if they were deposited into someone’s account.. ? Is that even possible ? Could someone do that ? My dad has been driving me CRAZY about this. He thinks someone took them and cashed into their account by making a deposit. He wanted to know what would happen to a person who might have done that.

The other thing is, if they were stolen, and we do not have serial numbers, what else would they do to prove they were stolen ? I would imagine our social, and signature would be acceptable.

Last thing, Is there a number to call to check on the status of how the search is going ?

Thanks, Lisi

On April 22nd, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Lisi – Patience. There is no number to call. Your dad’s signature isn’t needed. They will contact you after searching their records and at that point you can write or call them back with your questions.

Tom Adams

On May 1st, 2008 tony ralph page said:

i am trying to get my lost savings bonds replaced.

On May 9th, 2008 Linda Patterson said:

I bought a saving bond for my Goddaughter when she was born. She is now 13 years old and the saving bond is long lost. How can I get her a replacement?

On May 12th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Linda – there are no special procedures for your situation; just follow the instructions at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On June 5th, 2008 manny said:

hello,when i was a kid my grandparrents said they were giving me savings bonds for my birthdays and christmass presents.Since then my grandparents have passed on and i have no idea how too get these bonds ,can you tell me how or who i need to speek with to get this prosess started ?

On June 6th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Manny – there’s no special process for your situation. Follow the instructions at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On June 13th, 2008 Tammy said:

My ex-husband had in his possesion some savings bonds issued in both our names, he has passed away since our divorce. He may have cashed some or all of them, I dont know. How can I find out and recover them if they have not been redeemed?

On June 17th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Tammy – there’s no special procedure for your situation. Just read the information at the top of this page, fill out the form as best you can, and include a letter explaining your situation when you send in the form.

Tom Adams

On July 3rd, 2008 Gigi said:

I just learned that 1 or 2 of our sons savings bonds have been shredded in error. What to do?

On July 4th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Gigi – there’s no special process for your situation. Just follow the instructions at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On July 5th, 2008 Joan said:

When my niece’s daughters were born in the late 1990’s my mother purchased savings bonds for each of them. The girls’ are named as owners, with my mom as coowner on the elder’s bonds and my name as coowner on the younger’s bonds. Mother intended the bonds to be cashed for college tuition when the girls reached 18. Mom passed away in 2001. I was in possession of the bonds at that time since I handled all mom’s financial transactions.

Last year my niece asked me for the bonds as she was named custodian of the girls. Knowing she intended to cash them in to live on(she’s always in a precarious financial situation due to not working anywhere longer than 2-4 mos.) and not save them for college tuition, I cashed the bonds with my name as coowner, and put the money in a CD acct. which I will turn over to the younger girl when she’s 18. My niece has again asked for a copy of the other bonds(my mom as coowner) …she quit her last job 2 months ago and is again hurting financially.

Knowing she can search for ‘lost’ bonds with dates, SSN’s, serial nos., etc., I copied the bonds with everything whited-out except the girl’s first name and the denomination. I have not yet sent this to her.

My questions are:
1. Will the govt. be able to ‘find’ these uncashed bonds for my niece given only the approx. dates(1997-2001), the denomination, the girl’s name, and possible my mom’s name as the purchaser?
2. Can I be considered to have ‘stolen’ the bonds if I withheld them from my niece until her daughter turns 18? Am I getting into trouble here?

On July 7th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hi Joan – On your Q1, it’s possible, but without the Social Security Number that’s on the bond it’s less likely. It could depend on how unusual the girl’s name is. But do you think the mom can get it together enough to put in a claim? Read the comments here and you’ll see person after person who’s asking for an easier way than submitting the claim form – and there isn’t one.

On your Q2, since your mother’s name is on the bond and you handled your mother’s estate, it’s clear you’re acting in the owner’s (the girl’s) best interest, not “stealing” the bond.

Tom Adams

On July 16th, 2008 Christine Robinson said:

I am trying to recover bonds that was purchase by my father (Calvin Kelly)when he was working at Ford (Detroit Michigan) between 1930 and 1940. I had a lead on this once, but lost all the information. Could someone help me get another lead. My father is decease and has been for about 28 years. I would like to get these bonds for the heirs that are living.

On July 16th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Christine – At the top of this page there’s a link to the form you need. You can fill it out yourself. There is no other way to recover the bonds than for you to fill out this form will all the information you have.

Tom Adams

On July 18th, 2008 Dayna said:

My aunt purchased multiple bonds for me when i was a child. I don’t remember how many and neither does she. How should I go about filling out the form? Also, could my parents have cashed them?

On July 18th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Dayna – fill out the form as best you can. You can also write a letter giving all the details you have that don’t fit on the form and send it in with the form.

Yes, your parents could have cashed the bonds. Custodial parents can always sign for minor children.

Tom Adams

On July 20th, 2008 Sabrina said:

My grandmother had some saving bonds, that were in her name and mine..i was born in 1981, i don’t know when she got them, i think it was around then..but anyway she was going to give them to me on my 18th birthday…But she died a week after that.She had the paper work in her safe and someone broke into it after she passed, and the paperwork for the bonds were gone…my question is there anyway to find them..i dont know which banks they were done at….how would i find them?

On July 21st, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Sabrina – there is no special case for your situation. You need to fill out the form mentioned in the article at the top of this page. Include a letter with the form explaining your situation. Give all possible information. If they find a record of the bonds, they’ll let you know. If they don’t, you’re out of luck.

Tom Adams

On July 24th, 2008 Don Lantz said:

I had several savings bonds as a child, but our house was destroyed in a tornado, IN THE FORTIES. Is there any way to recover or track the lost bonds?

On July 25th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Don – The process for bonds lost in the 40s is the same as the process for bonds lost yesterday and is at the top of this page. If the Treasury can find the bond in its records it will pay you.

Tom Adams

On August 11th, 2008 Linda C. Shingle said:

Both my parents have died. I know that I have lost at least 2 savings bonds that were given to me. My father purchased many bonds as we were growing up(I have a brother & sister),I believe they were $25 Series E with my fathers SS# and his name(only using first and middle initial) and our name listed on the bonds (we did not have SS# at this time). I wanted to know if there is any way of tracking all the bonds because when my parents learned of the 2 I lost they thought the bonds could never be recovered. I wouldn’t doubt if several were “lost”.

On August 11th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Linda – you will eventually have to file the form at the top of this page to get new copies of the bonds. You can make that your first step.

Alternatively, you can write and ask for a list of your father’s bonds if you include a copy of his death certificate. More information on that is here.

Tom Adams

On August 12th, 2008 Vicki Johnson said:

I have several bonds and know a few are missing but not sure how many or what denominations, is there a way to get an inventory listing, so i can compare it against the list of bonds I do have to find out how many and what denominations are missing

On August 13th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Vicki – the information you’re looking for is on our page on how to get a list of your Savings Bonds.

Tom Adams

On October 14th, 2008 Tommy said:

I had a bunch of savings bonds stolen. I understand the procedure to replace them. But, how easy is it for the person who stole the bonds to cash them in?

On October 14th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Tommy – the thief needs to get a bank to certify that he or she is the person named on the bond. Unless the thief has an accomplice who works at a bank, this would involve creating false IDs. Not simple, not impossible.

Tom Adams

On October 15th, 2008 Tommy said:

Thanks, Tom. One more question. When stolen Savings Bonds are replaced, are they replaced with “NEW” Serial Numbers? And if so, do the “OLD” Serial Numbers become “Invalid”? Thanks again. Tommy

On October 15th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Tommy – the replaced bonds have the same issue date but new serial numbers. Yes, the old numbers become invalid.

Tom Adams

On October 22nd, 2008 Ed Mancillas said:

I recently bought a few family members some savings bonds but I wanted to know if I can buy bonds for myself? Also can a bond be gifted to a nonprofit organization??

On October 23rd, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Ed – yes for yourself, no for gifting to a non-profit.

Tom Adams

On October 25th, 2008 sandra gross said:

i had my childrens bonds in a safe deposit box in a bank and they have closed. how can i retrieve those bonds?

On October 27th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Sandra – There’s no special process for your situation. Just follow the steps given in the text at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On October 30th, 2008 Debbie said:

My ex wants me to sign my name to a savings bond that has both our names. I know there is a difference in how it’s titled, whether it has he AND I or he OR I. I really don’t want to have anything to do with it. Do I have to sign it?

On October 31st, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Debbie – Unless the Savings Bond is registered to a Trust (and that registration uses AND), which is very rare, only one of the persons named on the bond has to sign it in order to redeem it. In other words, Savings Bonds are always OR. He can cash the bond without your signature.

Tom Adams

On November 24th, 2008 amanda camelo said:

i had savings bonds issued to me as a child i am now 28 and my grandmother who had bought them for me has past away. and my mom had been holding the bonds for me until i had moved out. but when she went to look for them they were missing. she somehow misplaced them after the many times we moved. how do i go about finding my bonds and will i need any information from my grandmother. and how does that work being she is nolonger around

On November 25th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Amanda – it would be helpful to include your grandmother’s Social Security Number with the information you send in, but it’s not required.

Otherwise, just follow the instructions at the top of this page. That’s the only process there is for recovering lost Savings Bonds.

Tom Adams

On January 21st, 2009 Meggyn said:

I hope not to bother you with my situation, especially since I’m not sure if you can help me. I’m 18, and my sister is 21; my grandmother (still living) bought us bonds when we were children. She has lost the bonds, and this was only recently brought to my sister and my attention. My father (from whom I am estranged (and I changed my last name), but not my sister) gave her forms for us to fill out, and only after checking with the bank (who certified the forms when given my change-of-name papers) about to whom the bonds would be sent, I filled out the forms and sent them to the Treasury. This was in November, and I haven’t gotten a call from the Treasury, or received anything. Is it possible that they were sent to my grandmother? My father has Power of Attorney over her and claims that he will refuse to give me the bond; can he cash it himself? He really wants to keep me from getting the money from the bond, in revenge for my change of name. Unfortunately, college tuition isn’t cheap and I’m in dire need of the money. I don’t really know what I’m asking of you, since I’ve already sent in the form above, but do you have any other advice on someone I can contact or a next step I should take?

On January 22nd, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Meggyn – I think you should have heard back from them by now. Scroll up and use the “Ask the Treasury” link on the right to inquire about the status of your request.

Since your signature was certified on the form there’s no need to go into all the details with them – just tell them when you sent in the lost bond form and ask when you can expect to hear back from them.

Tom Adams

On February 14th, 2009 ROBIN LUNDGREN said:


On February 16th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Robin – Do you have paperwork from a probate court designating you and your sister as the beneficiaries? If so, follow the instructions on this page to recover the lost bonds. When you send in the form, include death certificates for both of your parents, a copy of the court paperwork showing you and your sister are the beneficiaries, and what you want done with the bonds (do you want them cashed or reissued – if reissued, whose name goes on the reissued bonds).

The Treasury may require an additional form, but if so, they will contact you.

Tom Adams

On February 26th, 2009 diana boyd said:

my mother has recently passed she made the mistake of making my son poa i think he cashed thinking 50,000.00 worth and split it with my sister they wanted to make sure it was gone by the time she died so i wouldn’t get any if i hired an attorney isn’t there any way i can prove they even existed

On February 27th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Diana – You are describing what you imagined happened – it would be better to start with what really happened.

Did your mother have a will or anything of value other than the Savings Bonds that would require that her estate be reviewed by a probate court?

Tom Adams

On March 18th, 2009 Keith Polin said:

Dear Tom,

I have savings bonds with my daughter listed as beneficiary. Since she is no longer attending college, can I use them for my son’s tuition instead?

On March 18th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Keith – the beneficiary has no legal right to the money unless the owner dies. So legally you can do whatever you want.

On the other hand, if the bonds were given to your daughter in your name as her fiduciary (financial representative) then you’re obligated to protect her funds for her.

Tom Adams

On March 25th, 2009 Ashley T. said:

my dad has been looking for his savings bonds that he had a while ago when he worked for sears. I have been trying to help him but I just dont know what to do. He doesnt remember the exact date he purchased them but he wants to know if he can redeem them? is this possible?

On March 30th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Ashley – what your father needs to do is explained in the text at the top of this page. If you want to help him, download a copy of form 1048 (link above), print it out, help him fill it out, and send it in. He should fill in as much information as he has and send it in even if he doesn’t have everything it asks for.

Tom Adams

On April 13th, 2009 ORLANDO RIVERA said:


On April 14th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Orlando – if you’re paying for the bonds with a payroll deduction, contact your employer’s payroll office to make the change.

If you purchased the bonds at a bank, contact the bank to make the change.

Tom Adams

On April 23rd, 2009 Phil Watson said:

Hello Tom,

I have a client who was overseas in the military from 1970 until 1973. He had bonds purchased through payroll deduction, but never received them. I suggested that he fill out form 1048. Are we on the right track?

Phil Watson

On April 27th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Hi Phil – Good to hear from you. Before filing Form 1048, your client should check with military safekeeping.

Tom Adams

On May 27th, 2009 Beth Van Vranken said:

My daughter’s father refuses to give her the savings bonds’s purchased for her. They were to be used for her college She is now 19 years old and in college and really needs them for her college expenses. I have done everything I have a few of the gift receipts but no serial numbers They are made out to my daughter..Please help us get them

On May 31st, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Beth – you need to talk to a lawyer.

Tom Adams

On June 15th, 2009 Sheila Bailey said:

Hello Tom,

A government worker purchases bonds via payroll deductions. She recently moved and changed her address through payroll a little too late for her recently purchased bond, so it was probably mailed to the old address. What steps do you recommend she take?

On June 18th, 2009 Jeff S. said:

So, I’m going to go out on a limb here, and ask a question that may have been asked many a time… but it’s important.

First note, I am twenty-two years old.

My father has in his possession at least $5600 in actual value worth of bonds in his possession, that were meant to be given to me when I started college. He has said that since I created an affidavit to remove myself from all of his responsibilities (i.e. child support, etc.) that the savings bonds were part of that, too… however, I did some research and it seems that bonds are non-negotiable – meaning that the bonds are still rightfully mine.

I have tried going to the Department of the Treasury, and they have blocked my request every time, stating that because my father is named as the POD on the bonds, that I cannot cash them… even though I am the listed OWNER.

I’m wondering if there’s a way around this situation, or if I’m going to have to involve law enforcement to take back what is rightfully mine so that I can get an education and not have to worry about where my next dollar is coming from, since my part-time job is really only for gas money… and with the economy hurting, and me getting less hours, it’s becoming impossible to make it to class.


P.S. – The treasury noted something about “personal property laws,” and how they have “no jurisdiction” over the bonds. Any light you can shed on that?

On June 18th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Sheila – the worker should contact her payroll office for help.

Jeff – It’s difficult to believe the Treasury told you that you can’t cash the bonds because your father is POD, since that’s totally false. Nonetheless, your best bet may be to seek the assistance of a lawyer.

Tom Adams

On June 22nd, 2009 Jeff S. said:

Tom – I do believe we had a misunderstanding.

The treasury will not redeem the bonds because my father is named POD on the bonds. Cashing them (if I had them in my possession, and don’t) would be perfectly fine.

I sent off the forms to the Treasury and we went back and forth about the issue, and apparently because he is POD, they cannot be redeemed.

On June 22nd, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Jeff – I would frame it as they can’t be redeemed because you don’t have possession of the bonds, which, nonetheless, belong to you.

I don’t think the POD is a relevant issue. As the owner, you have the right to change the POD.

What do you think their answer would have been if the bonds didn’t have a named POD? What would they have said if you told them you wanted to change the POD?

The issue is getting possession of the bonds, which the Treasury can’t help you with. That’s why I recommend talking to a lawyer about your options.

Tom Adams

On June 26th, 2009 Anna said:

This was excellent information – Thank you so much for knowing & posting it (& including the link to Public Debt Form 1048) – You rock!

On June 29th, 2009 Tom Adams said:


Tom Adams

On July 1st, 2009 Jeff S. said:


Thank you for your input, but I have one final question.

The Treasury said that possession of the paper bonds is meaningless, but they cannot redeem the bonds for me because I don’t have possession of them. This makes zero sense to me, and I’m figuring there must be some way to send the form in and get my money without dragging my father through court and slapping him with a felony (which in the state of Alabama, is exactly what it would be, due the the amount of money the bonds are worth) and potentially ruining his life.

Is there any legal way I can go about getting my money from the treasury without dragging his life (and his reputation) through the dirt?

Any information would be most appreciated.

On July 1st, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Jeff – I agree with you that it’s nonsense for the Treasury to say “possession is meaningless” and then to tell you they can’t cash bonds that they agree are yours because you don’t possess them.

You have two routes to solve the problem – get the Treasury to admit its position doesn’t make logical sense or get your dad to give you the bonds.

The first route is technically possible but I have no help or advice to offer you for this route. It would probably require establishing a relationship by phone or mail with a supervisor at the Treasury.

The second route could involve either reconciliation with your father or additional pressure on your father. There are lots of ways to apply pressure that fall far short of court action. Sometimes just a letter or call from an attorney will do the trick. Sometimes a neutral third party can negotiate a solution.

However, the best way to solve the problem by far would be reconciliation, because you’d get far more out of it than just the money. A family counselor would be of help if you choose this route.

You aren’t the only one with this problem. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Tom Adams

On July 4th, 2009 Darnell Marquis Campbell said:

Hello Tom Adams,

Dad is deceased veteran.

MUD Bonds lost!

Employees of Treasury dept will not release any of the bonds serial nuimbers or information even after 28 years. How do i get info if some of the bonds were forged?

On July 6th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Darnell – Did the Treasury tell you why they wouldn’t tell you about the bonds? If you’re the heir to your father, they’re supposed to, so I suspect that either they don’t understand that or that you didn’t provide the documentation they need.

Why do you think the bonds were forged? Or do you mean that you think your father’s signature was forged to cash the bonds? If the bonds have been cashed, then, indeed, the Treasury will have no record of them. Unless you have some hard evidence, it would be very difficult to show that the bonds were stolen and cashed.

Another place to check with is military safekeeping.

Tom Adams

On July 7th, 2009 Jeff said:

Hello. My daughter is 22 yrs old and my brother got her some bonds when she was 2 or 3 yrs old. Our house got broken to in 1996 and the bonds were stolen and the bank that he got them from is out of business. We do not remember what name the bonds were in or go about getting them reissued. Can you tell us where to start.
Thank You

On July 8th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Hi Jeff – Start by having your daughter download a copy of Public Debt Form 1048. She’ll find a link to the form in the article at the top of this page.

Then, as the article says, she should fill out the form as best she can. She should also write a letter than includes any other information you have that she couldn’t put on the form.

She then has to take the form to a bank and have them certify her signature on the form. Then she sends it in, using the address given in the form’s instructions.

Tom Adams

On July 10th, 2009 Abby said:

Hi Tom,

I lost several bonds, and I’m currently filling out the paperwork to have them replaced. To which address do you recommend me sending the form, as I don’t know if they were E/EE/I or HH/H bonds?

Thanks for the help. GREAT website!

On July 10th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Abby – Use the E/EE/I address.

(If they were H/HH bonds, you’d know that because you’d be receiving an interest deposit every six months.)

Tom Adams

On July 24th, 2009 Roger said:

my son was given several savings bonds by his grandmother before her death. Only her name and his were on the bonds. Can anyone else cash these bonds if they have a power of attorney over her estate or is my son the only person who can cash these bonds? I am worried that someone might have forged his signiture in order to cash these which were origionally purchased to help pay for his college. can they be traced to see who cashed them?

On July 27th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Roger – If your son’s name is on the bonds (either as a co-owner (OR between the names) or beneficiary (POD between the names)), he is the only one who can legally cash the bonds.

You don’t say why you think the bonds were stolen and cashed, but if you have some evidence, the info you’re looking for is here.

Tom Adams

On July 29th, 2009 Rae said:

My son shredded his savings bond in error. I do not remember the institution it was purchased from. Where do I start?

On July 29th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Rae – the process for having the bond replaced is at the top of this page. There’s no reason you’d need to know what bank the bond was purchased from.

Tom Adams

On August 13th, 2009 LANE PIRTLE said:



On August 14th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Lane – Yes, this is the correct form. However, stolen Savings Bonds are handled on a case-by-case basis and you can expect the Treasury to ask you for additional information after you file the form.

Or you can contact the Treasury first using our Ask the Treasury link (above right) and see what documentation they will want in your situation.

Tom Adams

On August 14th, 2009 Richard S Wright said:

I purchase a $25 savings bond back in the early 1980’s. I don’t remember any of the details, and I know that I never cashed it, because I wanted it to mature.

Where can I go to get this process handled to get a new copy of that savings bond, then find out the value of it?

On August 18th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Richard – there isn’t anyplace you can go. You have to download the form (link above), fill it out, take it to a bank to have your signature certified, and send it in.

Tom Adams

On August 19th, 2009 roy scott said:

mailed off the form july 20th, still no word. is there a place where you can check the status? that’s been about 4 weeks, well if you subtract mail time…3 and 3/4

On August 20th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Roy – there is no way to check the status online. Three weeks is the Treasury’s standard of service, but the number of requests they receive each week is highly variable. If you happen to submit your request the same week lots of other people do, it will take longer.

I wouldn’t worry about trying to check status until six weeks after your mail date. If you still haven’t heard anything at that point, use the Ask the Treasury link on this page to inquire about the status of your request.

Tom Adams

On August 20th, 2009 renee said:

Hi Tom,my best friend brought my son a savings bond when he was 3yrs old.They have been lost he’s 25 now how do we find out if they have been cashed or if he can have them replaced if they haven’t.I don’t remember what bank she got it from she has since left town and i don’t know how to contact her.

On August 21st, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Renee – neither your best friend nor the bank she bought the Savings Bond from can help you.

However, all you need to do is follow the instructions at the top of this page. If the bonds have been cashed the Treasury will let you know that. If they haven’t, it will replace them.

Tom Adams

On August 25th, 2009 Connie Erion said:

My two sons received savings bonds from their godparents back in 1977. I do not know the amounts and I don’t know how to go about finding out information because they never received the bonds back then. Can you help me?

On August 26th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Connie – since 1977 bonds have already stopped earning interest, you might be able to find them using Treasury Hunt, but you need to know the Social Security Number on the bond. It’s probably the number of one of the godparents.

If that doesn’t work, follow the process outlined at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On September 10th, 2009 Laura said:


On September 11th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Laura – I’d say your chances are 100%. Use the Ask the Treasury link above to report that the bonds were stolen and ask what you need to do to get the bonds replaced. Stolen bonds have a special case-by-case process that the Treasury will guide you through.

Tom Adams

On September 19th, 2009 shomari morton said:

i had a savings bond givin to me when i was young,an i lost it. how could i cash it with out it.

On September 21st, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Shomari – that’s not an option. If it’s not worth your effort to fill out the form (see main text above) like everyone else, then just kiss the money goodbye.

Tom Adams

On September 22nd, 2009 Hillary said:

hey tom! thanks for the info and forms on this page, I have one quick question. My mom recently found my baby book and it had 3 bonds listed as baby shower gifts before i was born. she doesnt remeber who bought them for me or if I had been named yet. So other than her finding the actuall bonds is there a way for me to locate them if they never had my name on them? Should I include my parents ssn and my grandmothers who bought me others after birth? thanks so much

On September 23rd, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Hillary – if the bonds didn’t have your name on them, then legally they were never yours and you won’t be able to recover them.

I think it would worth looking for them under your parents and grandparents names, but unless they’ve died they have to do that. You can fill out the form for them, obviously, but they’ll have to sign it.

Tom Adams

On October 10th, 2009 Marianne said:

Hi Tom,

When my husband and I were married and when we had children, we were given savings bonds from various relatives as gifts. Some of these bonds were registered in my husbands name and SS# only. You can tell by the dates on the bonds when these bonds were purchased. Over the years, my children have been given savings bonds for their birth, baptism, holy comunin etc.

When my husband and I were divorced, he came into my home and took all these savings bonds. AS part of our divorce settlement, he was to return the ones that were issued in my childrens name and split the ones that were given to us as gifts. He has not done so.

I have no record, exactly, of how many bonds there ever were. By reading your responses, I think I have a good handle on how to find out about the ones that were issed to my children…but how do I find out how many and for how much, were issued in my ex-husbands name only. Like, I said, they were issued at the time of our marriage, and births of our children.

I don’t want them replaced or redeemed at this time, I just need to know how many there were and for how much they were issued. We are going to court for this, and I need this information to present to the judge.


On October 14th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Marianne – Here’s the basic process for getting a list of your Savings Bonds.

Since the bonds don’t have your name on them, you have to convince the Treasury that you have a right to the information. Including a copy of the divorce settlement and the information you’ve given me here should do that.

Tom Adams

On October 15th, 2009 Rich said:

My mother bought savings bonds for my 3 kids a few years ago and recently we have moved. I beleive they might have been thrown out by accident. I think the bonds were in each child’s name and maybe my name. My mother would not have known the kids SS# so I am thinking that the SS# on the bonds may have been hers? My mom and I are estranged. Can the bonds be recovered without me reaching out to her to get her SS#?

On October 15th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Rich – there’s no reason not to try. Whether they find anything probably depends on how unusual your last name is.

Tom Adams

On October 17th, 2009 Tahni said:

I recently found, in my dads things, several bonds that where given to me when I was born. There was one that was only a copy of the original. I dont know who its from and its my social security number on the bond. My mothers name is also on the bond and she doesn’t remember it. She says that it was most likely already cashed in. Is there a way to find out if it has been cashed.

On October 19th, 2009 beth said:

My grandmother bought us grand kids savings bonds in 1995 i believe. she recently died 2 years ago, at which time the bonds were given to us. I lost mine in the process of moving, so how is a deceased person supposed to sign the bond?

On October 19th, 2009 mark said:

i bought alot of bonds years ago i know one got ran over by a lawn mower and one was taken by my old land lord do i have to write to that adress?

On October 19th, 2009 Allan said:


I have a great uncle who bought hundreds of war bonds during WWI, sadly, he was killed in combat and never had a will.

How do I go about claiming these bonds as his Great Nephew? He has no other living relatives.


On October 19th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Tahni – see this post.

Beth – Did the bonds have your name on them? If so, you sign the form. If not, the transfer to you wasn’t handled properly and you’ll need to ask the Treasury how to proceed as it’s too complicated to get into here.

Mark – yes and use the form mentioned at the top of this page.

Allen – I hope you mean WWII. Use this form.

Tom Adams

On October 26th, 2009 Dee said:

Hi –

I am 40 years old and was given savings bonds throughout my young life as gifts. My brother also acquired them. My mom recently passed and was holding these bonds but they have disappeared. I don’t know how many I had – between my brother and I had to be around 20 or so. Will I have an impossible time trying to get these replaced seeing as I don’t have any serial numbers or dates of when they were issued. I would say they ranged in years from 1969 – 1977.

On October 27th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Dee – Impossible time? The process from your point of view is the same as it would be if you had all the additional information. You fill out the form and give as much information as you have.

It’s the folks at the Treasury who have the impossible time. How impossible may depend on how unusual your name is. They may find the records or they may not, but what you need to do is exactly the same in either case – fill out the form and send it in.

Tom Adams

On October 30th, 2009 Larry said:

Hi Tom,

I recently found out from my sister that our grandmother had purchased bonds for all us children. She was given her’s years ago. I just learned that my grandmother has passed last year and that there should be a bond out there for me. How do I go about looking to see if it’s true or not? I have not talked to anyone on my mother’s side of the family for almost 20 years. Both of my parents are deceased so I am not sure of what to do or who to turn to for help. Any Ideas?
Thanks for any help you can offer.


On October 30th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Larry – There is really no other choice I can offer you than to fill out the form (see the article at the top of this page).

But I think your sister is asking you to work with her to reconnect with your mother’s family. Accomplishing that will ultimately be worth more to you than the Savings Bond.

Savings Bond gifts have never been about the money. They’re about family bonds and emotional attachments and inter-generational connections.

Tom Adams

On November 20th, 2009 Mary said:

I know I have bought at least 4 savings bonds for both my niece and nephew. I can not find them though and I believe I gave them to my sister-in-law but she says she only got the paper stating I bought them. The savings bonds had my SSN, my name, and either my niece or nephew’s name. They can not sign their name yet (too young), do I need something from them or my brother or sister-in-law to replace these bonds?

On November 23rd, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Mary – Everyone named on the lost bonds must sign the replacement form, but custodial parents (your brother or sister-in-law) are allowed to sign the form for their children.

Tom Adams

On December 8th, 2009 william said:

yes my mother got saving bonds for me when ever i was born to now so 1986 to 2009 and i dont think that she has them or will not give them to me is there anywhere i can go to get them with out her.

On December 9th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

William – The text at the top of this page explains how to have the bonds replaced. However, you should know that since your mother had the bonds last, she will have to sign the form along with you.

Tom Adams

On December 9th, 2009 william said:

I don’t know the bank but if the bonds are in my name wouldn’t I be able to go to one of the banks and give them my name and they could at least tell me if I still have them or not and be able to get them myself. Is there anyway i can at least see if i still have my saving bonds? Don’t know if I even have them but was told that I do. I go to every site on saving bonds just to see if i can put my name or social # and it all cost money. Do you think i should get a lawyer? How do i know if i have a trust fund if no one in my family says anything?

On December 10th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

William – You cannot get the information about Savings Bonds you’re looking for from any bank or website. You have to write a letter. Info on that is here (and it’s free).

I don’t know the answer to your trust fund question.

Tom Adams

On January 9th, 2010 jeff p.. said:

i was about 10 when i received a bond from my aunt. we think my step sister may have took them and cashed them. any way to find out anything? i have no info on what they even look like. my aunts died.

On January 11th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Jeff – you can fill out the form following the procedure at the top of this page or not. It’s up to you.

Tom Adams

On January 13th, 2010 william c whitlock said:

I can not rememer the date of bonds. All I know is I brought them in 1980

On January 14th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

William – Then just put that on the form.

Tom Adams

On January 26th, 2010 Matthew said:

My grandfather had quite a few series E savings bonds that he had his mother purchase for him (with checks from his account) while he was away fighting in WWII. The bonds remained in both of their names until 20 years ago when there was a family arguement, at which point she removed his name from the bonds and added a cousins name. I’m assuming she was able to remove his name since she was the actual original purchaser of the bonds (even though it was his money and his savings). She and my grandfather are now both deceased, however the cousin is living. Would she have been able to take my grandfathers name off the bond without him signing because she was the original purchaser? I hold the original paper bonds with my grandfathers name on them (before his name was removed) – is there any way I can claim the bonds as the executor of my grandfathers estate?

On January 27th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Matthew – If you have the original bonds, then the rest of your story doesn’t make any sense.

To change the name on the bonds, both co-owners would have to sign. Moreover, the Treasury would have kept the originals.

Are you sure this story is true and not family mythology?

I suspect the bonds you have are indeed a part of your grandfather’s estate. You can confirm that by checking to make sure the bonds have not been cashed by following this process.

Tom Adams

On January 27th, 2010 Matthew said:

There are multiple bonds, we physically have some in my grandfathers name, others in the cousins, and there are more that were purchased under the same circumstances that are physically missing (in whose name at this point I am not sure). Are you certain both co-owners would have had to sign (in the early 80’s) – even if they were both not present at time of purchase? I am certain the story is true as my grandfather discussed what occurred with me himself in great detail. Thanks for your time.

On January 28th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Matthew – First, let’s clarify that being the person who purchased the bonds (or present at that time) gives you no legal rights whatsoever. They don’t even keep a record of that.

The legal rights go to the persons named on the bonds. The purchaser’s name isn’t required to be on the bonds (that is, it can be a gift or a mother can invest in a bond for her son with the son’s money).

I wasn’t involved with Savings Bonds in the 1980s, so I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think it’s possible that the name on a bond could be changed without the signature of both co-owners.

I mean no disrespect to your grandfather and I’m sure he was convinced that what he told you was true. But that doesn’t make it true. Did he have real evidence or is this just what he thought happened?

I suggest you start by putting in a claim for the missing bonds, using the instructions at the top of this page. Include photocopies of the bonds you have in the request. The missing bonds were probably cashed, but it’s prudent to make sure of that.

The bonds with the cousin’s name on them now belong to the cousin. There’s no way you’re going to change that at this point unless you uncover a fraud.

Tom Adams

On February 1st, 2010 Stacey said:

My grandfather, who recently passed away purchased about 40 bonds for me over the years. The bonds are in my name and my grandfatehrs name. My father currently has the bonds and is refusing to give them to me in order to prevent me from cashing them in. I am well over 18 and my father is not listed on any of the bonds. Can I fill out the 1048 form to get replacements even though I know where they are, but cannot get to them?


On February 2nd, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Stacey – the form requires that the last person known to have the bonds – your father – sign it; so this probably isn’t going to help you.

Tom Adams

On February 4th, 2010 joe said:

ok i have a couple bonds that have been missed placed but the person that got me them has passed what do i need to do to recover them?

On February 4th, 2010 Peter said:

Treasury provided me the serial numbers of 2 lost Series EE bonds. These have my ex-wife as POD, but she does not respond to my requests for her signature on the 1048. What are my options?

On February 4th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Joe – There’s no special process for your situation, just follow the instructions at the top of the page.

Peter – Send in the form and include a letter that explains your situation. A copy of the divorce papers might help, especially if the bonds where specifically awarded to you.

Tom Adams

On February 8th, 2010 elaine kares said:

I found a large group of US savings bonds made out to a GARY AUTRY…how do I find him to geive them back…he is not at the addresses on the bonds.

On February 10th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Elaine – the info you’re looking for is here.

Tom Adams

On February 15th, 2010 Tammy said:

I was just recently made aware that my x n I had a savings bond that my aunt was holding. I am now getting the run around from her when I asked for it. How can I find out if it was cashed, as I dont trust her husband at all.

On February 16th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Tammy – the info you’re looking for is here.

Tom Adams

On March 13th, 2010 David Read said:

When my grandfather died his sister my great aunt had sent a 1930’s barabond and his war medals to my sister to be devided up between our family but she never told any of us about it till recently she was trying to say she was willed id bye our great aunt but i called my aunts brother great uncle and she had no will he took care of her final assets. My ? is how do i prove that she cashed it . She has more money all the sudden than she could possible make at her job and rubbing it in our faces. Please help my family right this wrong

On March 16th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

David – You mean a “bearer bond”? That’s not a Savings Bond but a bond with no one’s name on it; it’s the same as cash. This isn’t something I can help you with. You would need to talk with a lawyer.

Tom Adams

On April 15th, 2010 Richard said:

I friend of mine lost his brother in a house fire. The brother owned many Savings Bonds. Some were found in the fire gutted house but the actual number of bonds purchased by his brother is unknown and some may have been burned up and completely destroyed. Is there any way to find out how many the brother actually purchased to compare with the number of bonds that were recovered? My friend is the executor of the deceased estate and also listed as co-owner on many but not all of the bonds.

On April 16th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Richard – the information you’re looking for is here. Your friend should include paperwork documenting that he is the Executor in his request.

Tom Adams

On April 19th, 2010 James said:

My Father and Step-Mother purchased a “bunch” of savings bonds over the years. Dad passed and Step-Mom moved. She passed and her small estate was settled. The bonds have just resurfaced over a year later. What would be the proper course for us to cashed these in and split the funds?

On April 20th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

James – it depends on a number of things, beginning with the redemption value of the bonds. It makes a huge difference whether it’s $100 or $100,000. If it’s over $10,000, then the best thing to do would be to spend a weekend reading my book so you know what you’re dealing with. It also explains what you’d need to do depending on your exact circumstances.

Tom Adams

On April 21st, 2010 Tammy Spencer said:

My ex-father-in-law purchased savings bonds for both of my daughters from birth. They are now 19 and 20 years old and in college. They have cashed in part of the savings bonds for college over the past year and a half. The 19 year old has been estranged from her father for several months. Her father has posession of the savings bonds and refuses to give them to her for the parts of her tuition and books that her scholarship does not pay. I think the bonds have her name and SS# and his name, but can’t be sure. Can these be reported as lost/stolen?

On April 22nd, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Tammy – The form for lost and stolen bonds requires the signature of the person who had them last, so it’s hard to use it to resolve family difficulties like these.

Tom Adams

On May 8th, 2010 De De said:

I am trying to help my grandmother locate her fathers security bonds that when he died were passed on to her but all that we have to work with is his Social security number and date of birth. How would we go about locating the bonds and amounts so we can cash them in. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

On May 10th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

De De – if by “security bond” you mean U.S. Savings Bond, then follow the instructions at the top of this page. If you mean something else, I don’t know the answer to your question.

Tom Adams

On May 11th, 2010 Tom Ericson said:

I lost about 20 EE bonds (100.00) in a house fire in January of 2010. Is there any way I can have them reissued? I was not smart enough to record the serial #’s. Can it be determined what I purchased versus what I’ve already cashed in? Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Tom Ericson

On May 12th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Tom – all of the information you’re looking for is in the article at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

On May 14th, 2010 George Stone said:

We believe that we purchased savings bonds for each of our 5 grandchildren between 2000 and 2008 but have no record of the purchase. How do we go about trying to discover if the bonds were purchased and if they may have been cashed?

Thanks for your help.

On May 17th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

George – you would have the parents of the children submit a request for a list of the children’s bonds, submitting all the possible Social Security Numbers that you might have put on the bonds – yours and your wife’s, the parents’, the childrens’. There’s more info here.

Tom Adams

On May 23rd, 2010 Michael J Reen Sr said:

my son received a savings bond at his Baptism back in 1977. 5 years later his Mother and I were in deep debt and need groceries and thought we could cash it in. we did not know what POD stood for. I had signed it to cash it in but alas couldn’t. I recently found the bond and want to give it to my son. Can I get a replacement since the back is already filled out to give him or would he be able to cash it the way it is in some other way?
thank you

On May 24th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Hi Michael – There’s no way to get a replacement. He should be able to cash it without too much hassle.

Tom Adams

On June 1st, 2010 DeeAna said:

Does this work for War Bonds? My husband knows his father has war bonds and we can’t find them. His father passed away in 2002. We have all the other information needed. Please help. Thank You.

On June 1st, 2010 Tom Adams said:

DeeAna – In general, the terms War Bonds and Savings Bonds refer to the same thing.

Tom Adams

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in