Lost property: what to do with an unclaimed Savings Bond

Wednesday, November 17th, 2004
Categorized as: Lost or stolen US Savings Bonds

I found a Savings Bond inside a donated book. Where do I send it, so I can get it back to its owner?

Tom’s response

Usually a Savings Bond will have both a name and mailing address on it, but I assume this one has only a name, or you wouldn’t have written me.

In that case, send it to the unclaimed property department of your State Treasurer’s office. Their role is to get it back to the owner.

A search on Google for “[your state] State Treasurer Unclaimed Property” will get you the address to send it to.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 2.89 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:


On August 21st, 2007 Perry Eliano said:

I have lost and can’t find of my serial numbers for my Saving Bonds.I’m asking is there a website or another way I can find them? All I can tell you it’s in Brooklyn,New York in a bank I had my Saving Bonds.I don’t even remember the bank name since it’s been close to thirty years.

On August 21st, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Perry – the information you’re looking for is on our page about getting a list of your Savings Bonds.

Tom Adams

On October 9th, 2007 keith rapp said:

i dont know anything about my savings bonds just that my grand parents got then for me twice a year sence i was born plus a 500 dollar bond at birth i have a few recent bonds but most i havent seen sence my parents got divorced 10 years ago

On October 10th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Keith – the information you’re looking for is on our page about getting a list of your Savings Bonds.

On October 7th, 2008 Karen said:

Good afternoon………. My dad died had been getting bonds from his job and put them in my name since i was 2. I am now 46 years old and my dad passed away a few years ago. I don’t know where those bonds are located. How do i find out? HELP!

On October 8th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Karen – the information you’re looking for is here.

Tom Adams

On January 5th, 2009 DavidJ said:

My Great Aunt passed away recently in New York State. She had no will or trust, yet she left behind $10,000 in EE bonds with her name & her brother’s name both deceased.. How can I change the name to my children or cash these bonds. The is really no one assianged to her estate yet we are a very large family…? Is itpossible to do this or is it a long drawn out court battle..?

On January 5th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

David – the law in this area is pretty clear so there’s no reason for a court battle – you just need to split the money among the heirs. There is an order to this – first in line is her husband, if living, then her children, and so on. Here’s the form you need to deal with this.

Tom Adams

On January 28th, 2009 val said:

Hello, I have an series ee bond that says POD to my mother, she is deceased, is there anyway I can cash the bond if i have her death certificate and my birth certificate?

On January 29th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Val – You don’t say whose name appears before the POD. If that person is still alive, then that’s the person the bond belongs to. It never belonged to your mother and your mother’s death certificate is irrelevant.

On the other hand, if that person died before your mother, then your mother’s heirs would be able to cash the bond, but you’d need that person’s death certificate, too.

Tom Adams

On May 7th, 2009 Linda said:

My question is regarding a series E savings bond that is approx 30 yrs old. I was married to a man in the military and we later divorced. Recently while cleaning out some boxes I found this savings bond with his name on it. I have tried to locate and find him and have not been able to. Can I cash this bond in and if so what do I need to do so and where do I go.If not what do I do with it? I did ask my bank and they thought I could cash it in at a fed reserve Bank. Thank you.

On May 8th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Linda – Unless you have documentation from your divorce that awards the bond to you I don’t think you’re going to be able to cash it.

Tom Adams

On May 11th, 2009 jeri morales said:

were can i look for some saving bonds my husband use to buy at his job like 20 30 years ago he passaway and i don’t know to much info on this.

On May 11th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Jeri – This is complicated because the bonds aren’t in your name, even though you’re probably the legal heir. Contact the Treasury and ask them to help you.

Tom Adams

On March 24th, 2010 Donna said:

I have series E bonds from 1972 and don’t know how to locate the owners. How can I do so? Thanks.

On March 25th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Donna – I have no additional information beyond the text at the top of this page.

Tom Adams

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on Savings-Bond-Advisor.com. I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in