Savings Bond telephone numbers

Wednesday, September 29th, 2004
Categorized as: Savings Bond FAQ

Is there a phone number that I can use to contact someone at the Treasury and speak to them personally about my Savings Bonds?

Tom’s response

The Treasury’s Bureau of Public Debt, which issues Savings Bonds, only takes questions by email. However, you can send them an email with your phone number and ask them to call you and they will.

Click here to contact the Treasury about paper series E, EE, or I Savings Bonds or here contact the Treasury about series H or HH Savings Bonds or here to contact TreasuryDirect about electronic Savings Bonds.

Alternatively, you can call Savings Bond customer service at a Federal Reserve bank, but they will only be able to answer general Savings Bond questions – the same information that’s right here on our web site. They don’t have access to information on your specific Savings Bonds.

If you live in the western part of the U.S., call the Minneapolis Federal Reserve at 800-553-2663; in the east, call the Pittsburgh branch of the Federal Reserve at 800-245-2804.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 4.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:


On December 12th, 2007 CHRIS F DAVIS said:

I would like to cash in all my savings bonds.

On December 12th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

In most states, most banks can handle Savings Bond redemptions for you.

On December 19th, 2007 wm. lesky said:

I have many bonds from 1982 they are 30 yr. bonds. My dad is gone and my name is on them also. Would it be smart to cash them in now or wait the other 5 years.. Because of inflation..My purchasing power will be much less in 5 yrs, like it has been the last 25 years.

On December 20th, 2007 Tom Adams said:

Hi William – If you took the money out of the Savings Bonds, where would you put it instead?

There’s a banking crisis going on right now. The big players are actually moving their money INTO Treasury Securities for safety.

I think your best bet is to keep the bonds for another five years. Other alternatives take on the risk of not only losing to inflation, but of actually getting back less than you invested.

Besides, your bonds are now at the point where you’re earning a good amount of extra interest because of the tax deferral. The government is paying you interest on money you would have paid in taxes with other investments. I think you should wait until year 30 to cash them in.

Tom Adams

On February 14th, 2008 hubert wilkes said:

I am unable to find some of the bonds i’ve received over the past several years and they may have been found by other people. How easy is it for them to cash them and what do I need to do to block them from cashing them?

On February 15th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Hubert – you need to report the bonds as lost or stolen.

Tom Adams

On March 8th, 2008 Capt Mark said:

Can more than one beneficiary be listed? The Form 4000 always mentions Beneficiary in the singular, and the form has only the one line.

On March 10th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Mark – only one beneficiary can be listed; only two names total (owner is mandatory, a co-owner or a beneficiary is optional).

Tom Adams

On November 22nd, 2008 Patricia said:

Have been trying to get the forms to cash surrender bonds that belonged to my sister-in-law who is deceased. My husbands name is also on the bond, but he also is deceased. How and what must I do to get the eight seriies EE bonds cash surrenedered. Please advise.

On November 24th, 2008 Tom Adams said:

Patricia – the bonds belong to the estate of the person who died last. For you to cash them you have to prove that you are that person’s heir. This is normally handled by a probate court, but if the estate is small there are other ways.

This is a complex topic that I can’t possibly answer here. My book has all the details.

Tom Adams

On October 15th, 2009 margot murphy said:

In 1976-79 I purchased US Savings bods through my payroll deduction at the Timex Corporation, for my nephew David Murphy.

I never received confirmation of purchase or receipt by David. How can we track what happened to them and are they still around somewhere?

On October 15th, 2009 Tom Adams said:

Margot – You’ve waited so long those bonds have stopped earning interest, which means you can probably find them by putting your SSN in Treasury Hunt.

In any case, you’ll have to file the form to have lost bonds replaced, just like everyone else.

Tom Adams

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in