Should you change the registration if your name changes?

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005
Categorized as: Savings Bond registration changes

I recently remarried and want to change my name on my Savings Bonds to my married name. What form do I need to do this?

Tom’s response

When your name changes because of marriage, the Treasury suggests you leave your previous name on the bond; when you cash the bonds, simply sign your former name and your married name on the bonds. For example, “Mary L. Smith, changed by marriage to Mary L. Jones.”

However, the Treasury says that if a court is involved in your name change – through a divorce, for example – then you should have your named changed on your Savings Bonds, too.

In any case, the form to use to correct this error is Public Debt Form 4000.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 5.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:


On March 30th, 2010 john manuel said:

I am going to change my child’s name who is a minor. I have some bonds in her current name that cannot be deposited yet. If I do the name change now, how can I deposit these bonds when the time comes?

On March 31st, 2010 Tom Adams said:

John – you have to keep records of your child’s name before and after the name change and present them at the time you want to cash the bonds.

Tom Adams

On April 5th, 2010 Rogelio Herrera said:

I haven’s received my bonds for about 1 year and a half since I move. I sent a change of address application. So far, no response.
What can I do?

On April 6th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Rogelio – Sorry, I’d need more information to answer your question. Did you buy the bonds through a payroll plan with your employer? Did you buy them at a bank? Who did you send the change of address information to?

Tom Adams

On May 18th, 2010 Sharon Harris said:

My husband bought savings bonds for his daughters (my step-daughters). They are no longer minors and want to cash them in. Can I and how would I have the bond re-issued to their brother? I will give them the cash value of what they would get at the bank.

On May 19th, 2010 Tom Adams said:

Sharon – Although this is technically possible, it’s a lot of trouble and has negative tax consequences.

It is preferable to have your step-daughters cash their bonds and buy new ones with your money for their brother.

Tom Adams

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in