Correcting wrong SSN on Savings Bond

Monday, December 5th, 2005
Categorized as: Savings Bond registration changes

I purchased a EE savings bond for my grandson and found that I put the wrong social security number on it. How do I get this corrected?

Tom’s response

The only thing the Treasury uses the Social Security Number on a bond for is to search its records when a bond is lost or stolen. It’s never used for tax purposes.

When a Savings Bond is cashed, whoever cashes the bond must provide their own social security number. That’s the SSN that goes on the 1099-INT reporting the interest income to the IRS. The Social Security Number on the bond is ignored.

Consequently, the Treasury doesn’t correct mistakes in these numbers. However, you should keep a photocopy or two of the bond in a safe place so that if the original is ever lost or stolen, you’ll have the original registration information that’s on the bond.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 5.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in