How do I cash torn Savings Bonds with pieces missing?

Friday, July 28th, 2006
Categorized as: Cashing in US Savings BondsLost or stolen US Savings Bonds

I have two series E Savings Bonds which are torn in half. On one the two pieces are taped together and on the other there’s a missing piece that includes the issue date, which I don’t know. I would like to cash them in. What do I need to do?

Tom’s Response

You can redeem the bonds by sending them in with a copy of Public Debt Form 1048, Claim for Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed US Savings Bonds.

Fill out the form as instructed. Include what’s left of the bonds in the envelope when you mail in the form. Check the Payment box of your choice (by check or by direct deposit). You will have to have your signature certified on the form by a bank.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 4.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in