How to buy a gift Savings Bonds for a non-citizen godson

Thursday, December 30th, 2004
Categorized as: Savings Bonds as gifts and prizes

I’d like to start buying savings bonds for my godson, who isn’t a US citizen and doesn’t have a social security number. What options are there to purchase savings bonds in his name on an annual basis?

Tom’s response

You can buy a paper bond at a bank and register it in your godson’s name. You can provide your own Social Security Number on gift bond transactions.

In Treasury Direct, on the other hand, gift bond registrations must include the recipient’s social security number.

There are no citizenship limits to who can own Savings Bonds.

However, there are extra steps for non-citizens trying to redeem savings bonds that complicate this gift. See my post on cashing Savings Bonds internationally for complete information.,

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 5.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in