Form 1040 and the Savings Bond education deduction

Wednesday, July 14th, 2004
Categorized as: Savings Bond college education deduction

When Series EE Bonds are redeemed for college how is it reported on IRS 1040?

Tom’s response

There are two tax forms you’ll have to fill out to take the deduction. IRS Form 8815 calculates the two phase outs and IRS Form 8818 is an optional form for recording the data on the bonds you cashed in.

Use IRS Form 8815 to figure out how much your deduction is.

  • If you use Form 1040, enter the exclusion on line 3 of Schedule B.
  • If you use Form 1040A, enter the exclusion on line 2 of Schedule 1.

Attach the Form 8815 to your return. If you use Form 8818, just file it with your other tax papers for this tax year.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 2.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in