Changing the SSN for HH bond interest

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004
Categorized as: Series HH or H US Savings Bonds

I’m working with a client whose husband has died. They were co-owners of a number of HH bonds. She isn’t ready to update the registrations on the bonds yet, but needs to change the Social Security Number that the interest is reported under from his number to hers. What form do we use for this?

Tom’s response

If all you want to do is change the SSN that the HH bond interest payments are reported under, use a W-9. Complete and sign the form and send it with a letter describing the bonds and giving the old SSN to:

HH/H Assistance Branch
Bureau of the Public Debt
PO Box 2186
Parkersburg WV 26106-2186

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 1.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in