Changing a living beneficiary

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006
Categorized as: Yesterday's News (old post archive)

How do I change the beneficiary on my Savings Bonds? Will I have to pay tax on the interest I’ve earned?

You can change beneficiaries without tax implications.

To change the beneficiary of the older Series E and H bonds, the current beneficiary has to agree and sign the form. This isn’t necessary with Series EE, I, or HH bonds.

To make the change you download a form, fill it out, have your signature certified on the form by a bank, and send the form and bonds to the address on the form.

More information, including links to the forms you need, are on my page about adding a co-owner or beneficiary to a Savings Bond registration.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 5.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in