Whose signature is needed when cashing in a minor’s Savings Bond?

Friday, January 28th, 2005
Categorized as: Cashing in US Savings Bonds

How does a minor cash a Savings Bond if they aren’t old enough to sign or don’t have an ID?

Tom’s response

If a child is old enough to understand the transaction and sign the request for payment, and if the child has indentification that a bank will accept, the child can sign the bond.

If the child doesn’t have identification or is too young to understand the transaction, payment can be made to a parent the child lives with or to whom legal custody has been granted.

The request would be made on the back of the bond as follows:

I certify that I am the parent of Jane Doe with whom Jane Doe resides She is ___ years old and is not of sufficient understanding to make this request. John Doe on behalf of Jane Doe

If a bank is unwilling to redeem the bond, ask the bank to certify your (the parent’s) signature on the back of the bond, and send the bond to a Federal Reserve bank that handles Savings Bond transactions.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 3.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on Savings-Bond-Advisor.com. I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in