Can you cancel a recent Savings Bond purchase?

Wednesday, January 9th, 2008
Categorized as: Cashing in US Savings Bonds

How can I cancel a Series EE Bond that I purchased last month? The person I gave the bond to does not want it.

Tom’s Response

Use my Ask the Treasury link to request a copy of form FA 400 – Request for Reissue or Refund of Purchase Price Due to Error in Issue or in Registration of United States Savings Bonds. I can’t give you a link to this form because it isn’t available online. It’s the one you need to get your money back but you have to ask for it.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 3.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in