Age limits for Savings Bonds education deduction

Monday, July 26th, 2004
Categorized as: Savings Bond college education deduction

I bought Series EE bonds for my children’s college education back in about 1990. At what age of the child may I cash them and pay school expenses with the interest growth on the bonds being tax free?

Tom’s response

There is no age limitation for this deduction, but the person you are claiming the deduction for must be a dependent on your tax return.

There’s a lot of other fine print that comes with this deduction – click here for the details on the Savings Bond education deduction.

Rate this post (1 to 5 stars):  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
(Average rating: 1.00 stars)

FDIC Insured Certificates of Deposit can pay 1 or 2% more than savings bonds when held for a similar length of time. See top CD Rates Below:

No comments yet.

Comments Closed

June 1, 2010

After six years, over 400 posts, 3,680 real comments, and over 90,000 spam comments (thank you, Akismet, for making managing a blog with comments possible), I am closing public comments on I will contine to update the main articles on this site, but not the comments.

Virtually every question about Savings Bonds has been asked and answered on this site multiple times. Use the search feature (see the box in the gray area near the top of this page) or the detailed menu on the lower part of the home page to find the information you're looking for. If you have a copy of Savings Bond Advisor, you can ask me a question here.

Tom Adams

Savings Bond Calculator


Savings Bond

Get an answer to your questions from the Treasury's Savings Bonds team.

Click below to ask a question.

Ask the Treasury


Invest online in Savings Bonds or
marketable Treasury securities.

Deal directly with the U.S. Treasury.

More info


Log in